Friday 3 May 2013

Thrift Is Still A Virtue . . .

As a student there are a magnitude of lessons that you will inevitably learn over time. Some you have to learn the hard way, some will come easy, some are good, some don't make sense at the time, and some  you will eventually learn to value. As a current student I can confidently say that a lot of these "lessons" have unfortunately come the hard way for myself. But, I wouldn't have it any other way, I will forever be endowed with some truly unbelievable stories. For example, prom night I may have or may not have got my car stuck in a forest, in middle of the night, with no reception. Sounds like a horror film and at the time I thought I was about to live one. But, these are the types of stories that ultimately taught me a lot and that I can look back at now and find humour in.

One of the greatest lessons I have had no choicee but to learn as a student is managing my money. Even when you find yourself working three part-time jobs and things are looking up. Be prepared because speaking from experience, things can turn around very quickly. Not that I was horrible with money before but like any young adult with a disposable income. What I found worth and value in has drastically changed over the years. Now in my 20-somethings I know not to be as frivolous with my money, which is hard because admittedly I love to shop. At first there was no balance of these two things in sight, but eventually like all good things this balance was soon discover. Therefore, I have had to make some changes in the things that I buy and the places I buy them from. With this I have found marvel and amazement in thrift shops.  At least once a month I will find myself at a thrift store rummaging through old records and home decor. Two things that I will admit I have quite the obsession for; a healthy obsession of course.

So with this blog post today I thought I would share some of my favourite finds from my thrift shop escapades. I am relatively knew at this whole thrifting things and I am sure there is plenty more for me to discover.  But for now, perhaps you will be just as excited as I am in regards to thrifting....


 
Zebra Print Stool - $20.00
 
 
 
Antique-y Candle Holders. $12.00
 
 
 IKEA Lamp - $15.00
 
 
 Top - $5.00
 
 
Some of the many records I have found thrifting.
 
 I am sure I will have many more similar posts to this in the future... But that is it for now.
 
-Vicki